Pine needles?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jjgrask, Jan 15, 2015.

1. jjgrask

jjgrask Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2015
    Hudson, Florida
    I have 42 mature long needle pine trees on my property and use the dropped needles for mulch, fire starting, pathways, and whatever else I can think of. I have more than enough.
    Can I use them in the coop? They will be around the coop and on it as they drop everywhere.

2. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    My entire run is pine needles and they get replaced as needed every few weeks.

3. jjgrask

jjgrask Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2015
    Hudson, Florida
    Oh thank you! That will be wonderful. Saving money and somewhere else to put those needles to good use.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Replaced? What do you do with them after taking them out of run?

5. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    They are treated like DLM. Just keep dumping more on top and as they decompose you add again.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh so they are added to, not replaced.....I inferred 'replace' to mean removing old and putting in new.

7. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Between the chickens and the rainy weather we've had this year after a month or two there are spots where it's just pure mud so it doesn't even feel like you're a adding to. It's like you're starting fresh every time.

8. peaceneedslove

peaceneedslove Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    what is DLM??? I think my chickens ate the needles I put in the house. They were green and fresh and now gone.... Also by big white hen has lost all her underbelly and but feathers.. Why and what can I do???

9. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    I always use the dry red/brown needles and have no issues. They dig and play in them with no issues at all. DLM is Deep Little Method.

10. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I just learned about using pine needles in your run the other day I was going to try it myself, but I will have to wait because my girls were in muck up to their knees and I used the pine shavings out of their coop I was cleaning. I don't know if I should have or not but looks healthier to me for my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by