Pine Nuts

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Carols Clucks, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    A friend of mine bought some pine nuts to make pestso. She sampled a few of them.

This is what she says:

"Along with other products from China that have made us & our children sick, add Pine Nuts to the growing list. China is producing & shipping to the US pine nuts that are causing a syndrome known as "Pine Mouth". The symptoms are unpleasant & last several weeks. Those afflicted can not taste anything but a rank, bitter taste.

Loss of taste buds indicates this is affecting taste receptors in the mouth & the brain's ability to adequately interpret what is being consumed. If we are not going to stop importing from China, the FDA needs to impose warnings on packaging to protect citizens.

Whole Foods, Trader Joe's ..... Are all selling these Pine Nuts that are making people sick. If we're not going to impose stricter guidelines on imports, then at least inform citizens of the risk.

google Pine Mouth .., amazing how many people have been afflicted. It's not permanent, but saying it's unpleasant is an understatement. Obviously, these pine nuts are releasing some sort of toxin."

This is not the time of year you want a bitter taste in your mouth constantly.

Apparently they are safe if they are cooked.

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Interesting...
    [​IMG]
    Use walnuts in your pesto instead...[​IMG]

Pine nuts cost too much anyway...

ON

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Never tried them..
    I make my pesto with spinach and walnuts.. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Pine nut pesto is the ONLY way to go. I LOVE pine nuts!!!!!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Always wanted to try them... where the heck do you buy them at though? Dont believe i've ever seen tham at the regular grocery store...

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Have you tried walnuts?
    IMO these days the store pine nuts are so expensive and do not taste like anything in my part of the world..[​IMG]
    Heck more Basil and more garlic....[​IMG]
    Know if I had Pinon trees and collected my own that would be a different story..
    ON

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Pistacios can also be used instead of pine nuts.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I used to get pine nuts from the bulk section at grocery stores and middle eastern stores.If Trader Joe is selling bad ones I would think my stores are. I am thinking maybe only italian type stores sell the best. I read they go bad fast. Any nuts I get go in the freezer.

Looks like a good business opportunity for someone with the trees.I have seedlings,but I will be dust before they can be harvested.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I live near a small rural Southern town, and they are on the shelf locally. I have a recipe that is nothing but pasta, spinach, butter, pine nuts and a little garlic, that I used to make often. Got tired of it. Every recipe I've made that used them has you toast them. Glad I never found one I wanted to try that uses them as is.

Now the butter has paint thinner or some such thing in it anyway.... Think I'll give up eating....

'scuse me, gotta go make breakfast....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by