Pine or Cedar Shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmdsparrow, May 15, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    We just brought home our first chicks and we had cedar shavings so we used that. Is that fine to keep using or should we use pine? Also, this may be ridiculous(remember I am new at this), but can I give them a bath so that they start over fresh at my house? They are about 2 weeks old.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Pine....Cedar has an oil in it that is NOT beneficial to them.

Sure you can bathe them but dont let them get chilled. And it takes a looong time to dry a chicken.... trust me. lol

3. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Wet chicks chill, I don't think you have much to worry about since they were just with their siblings from the same place. They are chicks so they will be quarantined from and other chickens since you don't have any. If they have something, bathing them isn't going to change any internal issues and if they have mites, I'd just give them diatomaceous earth. I use pine shavings and have never had a problem. Some people swear that they can get various things from them but I've never had so much as a mite on my chicks so I don't think there is a problem with pine. I don't use cedar so I can't comment on that, it does splinter on the soft pads of guinea pigs so it could do something to chicks feet, I don't know for sure though.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use pine shavings. You can add some cedar shavings, maybe a handful or two for 1 bag of pine, it helps keeps bugs away. Ive heard of people mixing the too, and nothing bad has happened. As long as you dont add too much cedar shavings.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not use cedar at all...the oil in cedar creates breathing problems from what I have read.

Good luck with your babes. [​IMG]

6. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Cedar has fumes that can cause breathing problems, do a search and you'll see it's a big contriversy. Just to be better then sorry I only use pine shavings. Good luck!

7. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Thank you all! I have just bought a bag of pine shavings and now my chickies are happily pecking away at their food. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by