Pine pellets: The circle of life

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Eyeheartquail, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Eyeheartquail

Eyeheartquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Can't you already hear Elton john in the background? LOL I just wanted to point out how convenient it is for me to use pressed pine pellets in my brooders. Once the brooders are dirty I use the icky pellets in my wood stove. Then I use the remaining ash from the wood stove for my adult quail dust baths. Now if I could just figure out how to make my adult quail produce pine pellets. [​IMG]

Not to mention, pine pellets just rock. They are the best way that I have found to keep the smell down and feet clean. Have you used a bedding that works better?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I may have to give them a try. How much does a bag cost you? I recently bought a bag of corn cob pellet bedding on a clearance rack and used that as the bedding for my broody Mama last August. Currently my mealies are on it and seem to be doing great. I was going to try those next time I have a brooder of chicks, until the bag runs out. But I'd be willing to try pine pellets too, if the price is comparable.

3. Eyeheartquail

Eyeheartquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    I bought a 50lb bag for 7 or 8 bucks. It may not be as beneficial if you had a ton of birds. But I have only been hatching 20 chicks at a time.

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I like the pine pellets for my brooders and my catch trays in my pens. good stuff.

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i've only ever used aspen wood shavings, and old paper. The pine pellets work very good eh, might have to check it out.

6. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Have gone back and forth...But when the compost pile gets SO big...Pine pellets are the way to go for better composting, odor control..and just space...especially if you have small space to operate in. Right on Eyeheartquail! I'm sticking with them and good old fashioned FREE newspaper.

Tonya

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I just got 4 bags of pine pellets for $20. I go through about a bag a week.
    weekly I change out 12- 2x2.5 pens, a big water trough I use as a brooder and several rubbermaid totes.

8. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    X2 Pellets are $5.00 a bag here too. My pens are different, but with brooders and the few project pens I do have...pellets are the bomb!

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    How do pellets do when they get wet? I have a bag of corn cob pellet bedding that I used in my brooder but I found that the slightest bit of damp and they just kind of dissolve. Not necessarily a bad thing, since I suppose it will help them break down in the compost that much faster, but just wondering if pine pellets dissolve like that too?

10. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Yea, pretty much. That is draw back and you learn very quickly what is too much to start and too little. Nothing more aggravating than cleaning a brooder to find nice fresh pellets under the used ones...hate to waste here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by