Pine pellets: The circle of life

Eyeheartquail

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Can't you already hear Elton john in the background? LOL I just wanted to point out how convenient it is for me to use pressed pine pellets in my brooders. Once the brooders are dirty I use the icky pellets in my wood stove. Then I use the remaining ash from the wood stove for my adult quail dust baths. Now if I could just figure out how to make my adult quail produce pine pellets.
gig.gif

Not to mention, pine pellets just rock. They are the best way that I have found to keep the smell down and feet clean. Have you used a bedding that works better?

Last edited:
I may have to give them a try. How much does a bag cost you? I recently bought a bag of corn cob pellet bedding on a clearance rack and used that as the bedding for my broody Mama last August. Currently my mealies are on it and seem to be doing great. I was going to try those next time I have a brooder of chicks, until the bag runs out. But I'd be willing to try pine pellets too, if the price is comparable.

I bought a 50lb bag for 7 or 8 bucks. It may not be as beneficial if you had a ton of birds. But I have only been hatching 20 chicks at a time.

Have gone back and forth...But when the compost pile gets SO big...Pine pellets are the way to go for better composting, odor control..and just space...especially if you have small space to operate in. Right on Eyeheartquail! I'm sticking with them and good old fashioned FREE newspaper.

Tonya

How do pellets do when they get wet? I have a bag of corn cob pellet bedding that I used in my brooder but I found that the slightest bit of damp and they just kind of dissolve. Not necessarily a bad thing, since I suppose it will help them break down in the compost that much faster, but just wondering if pine pellets dissolve like that too?

Yea, pretty much. That is draw back and you learn very quickly what is too much to start and too little. Nothing more aggravating than cleaning a brooder to find nice fresh pellets under the used ones...hate to waste here.

Back
Top Bottom