Pine Shaved the chicks today

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Unlike some on here, I don't use pine shavings under my day-olds that I brood on the floor--unless you can find real shavings with no saw dust, I believe the chicks eat more of it than is good for them. So I cover the floor with newsprint and haven't had problems with it in my 25 years of raising chicks other than their shredding it into the waterer. Therefore I wait until the chicks are well established before cleaning up the brooder floor and putting them on shavings.

This year, because of a number of days away from home, it wasn't until today that I could do it--chicks have been here 7 weeks now and i should have done this a week or so ago. It is about an hour process. I have to chase the adults/pullets out of the main part of the coop and shut the outside hatch. Then I herd the chicks--all 31 of them--into the adult side of the coop, clean the brooder side, and spread shavings. I also take the time to raise the feeder and water. Then I herd everyone back--an old screen window is ideal for this. I'll give them another week or so before I remove the door between the two sides and let them co-mingle for a few days before allowing them all to go out.

Works for me and the chicks now think they've died and gone to heaven, tomorrow there will be shavings every where.

Back
Top Bottom