Pine Shaving Disaster--Any advice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by griggy, Mar 7, 2014.

1. griggy

griggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    My baby chicks go nuts when I put the pine shavings in! They scratch and throw them all around and then seem to eat the tiny pieces. They are 2 and 3 weeks old and doing great, but I can't keep a good cover of pine shavings on the newspaper. I thought I read they shouldn't be on plain newspaper..any advice?

2. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

get a couple burlap bags and cut them open and cover the shavings with them...when they get dirty just change out and shake and hang till next cleaning....

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Have you considered using sand?

4. griggy

griggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    Where do you get burlap sacks? And can you tell me about sand?

5. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I keep my babies on old towels until they are 2 to 3 weeks old and then they are moved to a large brooder in the barn. They will do exactly like you said with the pine shavings the first day. Even tho it appears that they are eating small pieces I've never had a problem develop because of it. They find out pretty quick that their food tastes better. They do love to take 'dirt baths' in the shavings tho and the shavings absorb smells and keep everything dry. Place the feed and water up high enough that not too many shavings get in.[​IMG]

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Use the large flake shavings instead of the fine flakes. Too big to fit in their mouths or to be moved around a lot by small feet. Easy fix.

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I used sand to brood my chicks. Get a bag of play sand and spread that in the brooder. Scoop with a reptile scooper until they are big enough that a cat scoop will work.
    DH also bought me a kids butterfly net from the dollar bin at Target - that worked pretty well too.

8. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Quote:I second this. I have raised all my chicks on pine shavings and never had a problem.

1 person likes this.
  9. clankeyes

clankeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Ferndale , WA
    has anyone ever used wood stove pellets.. they are chemical free. I have used them in my parrot cage for years. Someone told me to try this when they are about 3 - 4 days old.

10. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Arent they supposed to kick it around?

you can buy burlap for cheap at the hardware store in the garden section, or they sell burlap bags at tractor supply. I just use a good 3in of shavings though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by