Pine shavings for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CreamBruelle, Mar 4, 2017.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    Do any of you think that pine shavings could be used as chick bedding? If so, should I get the small, fine pieces or the big, long pieces?

Thanks

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I have always used pine shavings. Never used anything else. I usually use the flakes but have used the small shavings as well when the larger were out. I have never had any problems with either:)

3. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    I have been using large pine shavings and have been very happy so far. Good absorber, little smell or dust. Some people use pine pellets as well for even more absorption. From what I have read, straw doesn't wick away moisture well, cedar shavings cause airway irritation, newspaper can become slick, and sand is great for easy cleaning like a catbox.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

I also use pine shavings. I didn't know there were different sizes, but I would go with larger. Also I cover the shaving with paper towels for the first 2-3 days to ensure they are filling up on feed and not shavings.

I use sand in my coop but feel like it stays to wet for the brooder, but don't know that for sure since I haven't tried.

Enjoy your new chickies! [​IMG]

5. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    Thanks everyone. I have a momma that's gonna hatching out some chicks and I didn't know for sure if they'd be ok on shavings

6. Little Buffs

Little Buffs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    We have put kitchen towel down for the first couple of days and today we are going to put in our pine shavings. We wanted them to recognise what their food looks like and make sure they were eating lots [​IMG]

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My Hens with chicks are in pine shavings.....I have zero issues......

Cheers!

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

My hens keep their chicks on pine shavings as well. I don't worry about using paper towels then. Mama teaches them what to eat.

And they are oh so cute! [​IMG]

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They sure are eh...;)......!

10. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We used pine shavings when they were chicks then switched over to the pine flakes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by