pine shavings for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by naturababe, May 19, 2010.

1. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    i just read in a chicken book that you shouldn't put young chicks (mine are 2.5 weeks) on pine shavings because they will eat the shavings and get blocked up. well i just transfered them to pine last night because i was tired of changing paper towels 50000 times a day. of course this book also recommended cedar shavings which i know are bad so do i need to go get grit asap or will the chicks be fine on the pine?

2. FarmMilkMama

FarmMilkMama Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    Minnesota
    We have always put our chicks and ducklings on pine shavings and never had a problem [​IMG]

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am confused about grit myself. I have seen on hear that chicks should be on and other say no grit yet.
    I was at feed store and she told me I only needed chick feed until they were closer to laying age.
    So mine are on chick feed, lettuce, kale and what ever they find when I have them in the yard (for short periods of time).

Not too much table food because they need the protein in the chick feed.

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I know a lot of people use paper towels for that reason. I have always put, even just hatched chicks, right on shavings, with no problems. Pine of course.

5. naturababe

Apr 1, 2010
    from what i know if you feed anything other then chick starter they need grit. feed stores don't "get" people wanting to feed chicks anything other then chick starter so that is why she probably said no grit. if you've been feeding them that other stuff i believe you need to get them some grit asap!

6. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    I may be wrong, but if they're going outside for short periods of time- they may be picking up their own grit? I offer my little ones a dish of grit on the side. If they want it, its there.

7. naturababe

Apr 1, 2010
    ok i feel better - just cannot take the paper towels anymore and they need more room anyway. i am not paper toweling 16 sq ft!!

i do need to find some grit though because they like to go outside.

8. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yep, as long as you just feed chick starter, no need for grit. Once you introduce them to scratch or treats you may need to. Also, I've hatched out many chicks and always have used shavings from day 1. I get the big cube from Southern States for horse stalls.

9. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I start out on rubber mats or paper towels, then change to shavings at around 4-5 days. Smell is much better and chicks stay cleaner. So far no problems.

Sorry lost my thought, I think I may try from the beginning with these post doing it. Sure would be easier!

I feed chick starter, only throw in some grit if I notice I have some that are picking on the others feathers. An old timer told me the chicks are after the shaft of the feather and need grit. Don't know if that is true.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I start all of mine on paper towels and switch to pine shavings at 2 weeks. I've never had a probelm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by