Pine Shavings = Grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    I think my chicks are ready to be done with the paper towels. Everyone is eating regularly from the feeder. My worry is that they will eat the pine shavings, I have not given them grit. Do I need to put grit out if they are on the pine shavings?

Thx!

2. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    Shavings are for absorbency and footing. Grit is for grinding of food as chickens can't chew. I've heard that if you give them treats in addition to chick starter you should give them some grit. Personally I believe in a little sandbox for chicks from the beginning no matter what you're using for bedding. In nature they would be pecking in the dirt right away. They will peck at the pine shavings but soon realize they are not food.

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    As soon as I put mine in the brooder with pine shavings....they commenced to eat shavings.
    Silly things. They've prettty much figured out it's not food but that doesn't stop them from pecking up tiny bits. Hasn't seemed to hurt them any but then, since I have given them little grasshoppers from the yard as treats, I went ahead and give them a bowl of sand to go with them. I don't think grit (sand) will hurt and might help as far as shavings go.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The grit will help break up the shavings. I gave grit to my chicks right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by