Pine shavings help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tammy toomire, Mar 29, 2017.

1. tammy toomire

tammy toomire Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Huntington Beach
    Can I use the fine shavings for chicks 2weeks plus???

2. OliviaBirds

OliviaBirds Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Yes, I use pine shavings for my one week old chicks, (you can use them for any age.) Hope this helps.

3. tammy toomire

Feb 24, 2017
    Huntington Beach
    Does it matter that they are the fine shavings????? Feed store said fine is ok

4. OliviaBirds

OliviaBirds Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Are the fine shavings smaller than the regular shavings? I think its okay, but I use the regular.

5. OliviaBirds

OliviaBirds Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Maybe you should look it up online just in case.

6. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    At 2 weeks old they may be old enough to tell the difference between bedding and food, hopefully anyway. Fine shavings are bad for new borns, we are told, because sometimes they will eat them and get sick. The larger shavings are preferred but even then there will be small pieces and dust in the brooder. You will probably be ok with the fine if you already bought it.
    P.S. the store will tell you everything they have in stock is fine to use, just so they can sell it.

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Pine shavings are fine.....My Chicks are with their Mother..I use pine shavings from the time they hatch....Supply Chick grit....They will be fine....:)

Cheers!

8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The risk of using pine shavings in brooders is way overblown. Baby chicks will sample anything they run across during the first few days, but they also have a built-in hesitation to consume anything new and strange. The latter cancels out the former in most cases.

There may be an occasional chick that goes nuts gobbling shavings, and if it hasn't learned to drink adequate water, the shavings become impacted in its crop, and in extreme cases the chick will die. Even though having a chick of yours die from this, it's still extremely rare.

9. tammy toomire

Feb 24, 2017
    Huntington Beach
    Ok. Thanks. :). I was just worried about the fine shavings bad rrgular. They will be just fine I'm sure. Thanks for reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by