pine shavings or hay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Peeps298, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Peeps298

Peeps298 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I am curious, what do most people use on the floor of their coops, pine shavings or hay? What do most use in their nest boxes, pine shavings or hay?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Pine shavings in coop and hay in nests.

I like the hay as it comes apart in batts from the bale. Chickens cant scratch it out of nests but make a nice "nest" indent in it.

3. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    There is a lengthy thread going regarding this topic. It's something like
    "what are you putting on the floor of your coop this winter".
    Great information from a lot of people in many different areas.

Me, I use pine shavings.

4. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    I use pine shavings in both!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Pine shavings in both for me as well. Going to use the deep litter method this winter. The natural decomposition of the chicken droppings will create some warmth for them.........

6. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I save newspaper, shred it in the paper shredder, and voila! free bedding that is completely compostable [​IMG]

7. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Pine shavings. I read that they eat the hay and this can lead into impacted crops. Not sure if it's true or not, but wanted to let you know.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Shavings. FIrst, because they are WAY WAY easier to clean (spot- or totally) than hay or straw.

And mostly because hay is FOOD, darnit, and it kind of bothers me to see perfectly edible hay being used as *bedding* in some places where in other places it is in very short supply (and often being trucked in from the first sort of place). Mulch hay is not appropriate as bedding b/c of the mold factor.

JMHO,

Pat

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Do you think they meant straw? Isn't it the straw that's bedding and the hay that's food? [​IMG]

10. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    So I was using pine shaving, but my hubby wanted something that stayed in the coop after we got a little shower of pine everytime the coop was opened. So he got a bale of straw hay. Now the chickens love making a nest out of the stuff but is is harder to clean (in my opinion) than pine. So as soon as my bale is gone I am going back to pine, it is so much easier to clean than hay!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by