pine shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JoePa, May 7, 2011.

1. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    I guess everyone is allowed a dumb question - I have never bought any pine shavings before so I don't know what they look like - I was wondering - can I make my own pine shavings using a wood chipper - I have one which I use to chip up branches that I cut around the place - if I chipped pine branches would I have something that I could use in my coop for poop control? - I now use the wood chips as mulch around flower beds - thanks for any information -

2. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Pine shavings look like wood shavings. If you can google "pine shavings images" a few different images should come up.

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure if you could make your own but I wouldn't think there would be a problem doing so. Just no cedar in the mix as it's strong odor causes respiratory issues.

3. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I need to know this as well. My neighbor mills his own wood and gave us a HUGE wheel barrel full of saw dust. I was thinking this would work well for floor cover, but was not sure. I was worried it would be too fine and they would eat it.

4. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I wouldn't use sawdust it might cause respiratory issues. I think you could probably make your own shavings though.

5. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Howdy,

We've used pine shavings for our chickens without any troubles. Pine shavings are not chips, but are very comfortable to the hens when they nest. I would be hesitant to use the sawdust mentioned above.

Hope this helps!

6. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    That's what I assumed, too fine. Now to find another use for all of it....

7. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    I think I paid less than $7.00 a bag at my TSC for this stuff. I was specifically told not to use the "fine" shavings with the chicks by a trusted friend, as the fine shavings create more dust.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tractor-supply-company-reg-flake-premium-pine-shavings-5027706

One of these bags has lasted me about a month in my 5'x3' brooder. I change/clean it out about every ten to fourteen days, or as soon as I notice the odor is getting strong. In the days between I've usually added another layer, as I think is needed -- certainly not everyday -- and that seems to help. They absorb moisture, smell great, and as advertised, are very low on dust. I'm not sure about using a chipper mix, so I can't help you there.

Here's what it looks like in my brooder. Of course, the dark specks are poop.

Mark

[​IMG]

8. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    F106A,
    Your chicks look like they're either drunk or plum tuckered out, or just loving the comfy brooder so much that they are completely relaxed. [​IMG]

JoePa,
    Shavings need to be thin, like planed wood. Wood chips are too chunky and will be to hard and coarse for your chickens, and like was already said, sawdust is too fine and can cause respiratory problems.

I use pine shavings that I get by the bale at the feed store. Local lumber mills compress and bale (in heavy brown paper bags or plastic ones) the shavings and they arrive ready to use. Sometimes they send sawdusty shavings, which I hate, but usually the shavings are nice, fluffy bales.

9. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Quote:I waited, and waited to get that photo of the chicks sleeping! Every time I snuck up on them to take a photo they caught me! I really got lucky that night!

Mark

10. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I waited, and waited to get that photo of the chicks sleeping! Every time I snuck up on them to take a photo they caught me! I really got lucky that night!

Mark

LOL! [​IMG]
    The best photos always look so easy, like they just happened. The professional photographers say the same thing about getting that kind of shot, that you did -- that they had to be really persistant and patient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by