Pine Shavings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mturner007, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mturner007

mturner007 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Can I use pine shavings in the nesting/laying box?

2. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    I have been for the past year. The chickens seem to like it. When they are in the box they will throw the shaving up on their back.
    We tried straw but I was afraid that they would eat it and get crop bound, but others swear by it.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I don't care for straight pine shavings in the next box. The eggs are easily buried in the which requires one to sift through the litter finding them.

Lately I have been liking a mix of pine shavings and hay. Plenty of cushion and absorbency, but dries out fairly fast if they happen to get wet.

4. mturner007

mturner007 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks so much, both replys were helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    I just do straight straw and have never had a problem. They also like making nest in it kinda like a bird nest.

6. SJUDD

SJUDD Chillin' With My Peeps

I was told that hay/straw draws lice and that pine shavings prevents them so I have used nothing but pine shavings in my coop. The chickens like to scratch in it and roll in it on the hot days.

7. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Well........., my grandma, who was born in 1893, and lived till she was 97 and always had chickens, always used straw. Never had a problem. My Dad used straw, no problems. We will be using straw as well, and anticipate no problems.

8. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I use pine shavings, they seem to dig it out in the center anyway so its not a problem finding my eggs, they seem to like it ok and its easy to clean and remove when needed, I actually use my old shop vac to clean my coop out lol.

9. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    I use the pine shavings. Find I don't have to change it as often as the straw or hay.

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I use shavings, they kick it out of the box a lot though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by