pine shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by asthrngal89, Mar 17, 2015.

1. asthrngal89

asthrngal89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    I made this big brooder with boxes and dumped pine shavings in the more I messed with it the more I didn't like it I noticed fine saw dust like particles covering my hand like powder even though it has majority big flakes..Not sure this is good for first week chicks or any at all for that matter.I haven't put them in it yet I'm scared they will eat it too! They are doing great on puppy pads and paper towels eating and drinking but I need some opinions on what to do!!!??

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I've used pine shavings the past 4 years for raising chicks and they did fine.

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have used nothing but pine shavings as well for the past 5 years as well. Chicks live in a world of dust and dirt and create an ample supply all on their own so don't worry about it being bad for them, they'll be fine and it gives them something to scratch around in. As long as they know what to eat their fine. They will peck at it but won't eat it, chicks peck at everything that's how they learn. remember this is an animal that eats small stones to help digest their food.

4. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    I've always used pine shavings as well but for the first week I cover the pine shavings with a double layer of paper towels in order to create a flatter surface with better traction for tender feet and developing leg strength. I don't cover it fully, just in the areas between the water food and heat lamp so they do have some open pine shavings to explore in.

No matter what kind of bedding you put in with them, they will peck and scratch in it. As long as they are eating their food, it has never caused me an issue so I don't worry about it.

5. RogerTheChicken

RogerTheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    I always have used pine shavings

6. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I've used pine shavings for 5 years too, and never had a problem with them. This year, however, I used dirt and that worked just fine too. It was a lot less dusty and was even less smelly as the poop would start to decompose faster. Kept the chicks happy digging, too.

7. Natalierose

Natalierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    I've been using pine shavings with a layer of paper towels on top. Now that they are approaching a week old they seem to watch to scratch and dig more. So last night I tried just the shavings. They all dug at one spot ....in a tiny fluff frenzy,....to expose the plastic floor...to peck furiously at it. After 20 minutes they still hadn't gotten bored with that (And I was worried the little bantams would get trampled) so I put what I'm now calling their punishment paper back on top.
    [​IMG]
    SIgh. I'll try again tonight...

8. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    I just started raising chicks last week and I'm using Pine Shavings with no problems yet

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Inside my house I use paper towels in my tote brooder. As soon as they stink it up they go outside to the wire bottom brooders. That way I don't have to buy any supplies, do any cleaning, and the chicks have a clean, healthy place to grow.
    I put a pan of sand in the wire bottom brooders so they can get off the wire and rest their feet, dust bathe, and satisify their natural urge to scratch & dig.

10. asthrngal89

asthrngal89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    Thanks guys!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by