1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    :Hey everyone , can i use pine straw in chicken coop? im a city guy tryin learn. i just put my baby hens or pullets in an old dog kennel and tied screen to it . i keep it in my garage untill i can build the coop. i moved to the sticks like three years ago so im learning. ga is a different place, lol buti like it. anyway can i use pine straw for right now? the chicks havent compained and they are eatin and drinking... pooping too, lol:)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    You can use anything you want, it comes down to the absorbancy of what you are using, straw of any type will work to an extent, but its not very good, unless you really like cleaning your coop. Most tend to use pine shavings for absorbancy, and they are relatively cheep. Buy the big bundle from feed store, if you get it from pet shop you will spend too much for the same stuff.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Personally I wouldn't use pine straw. I use pine shavings. You can get a packaged bale either at a pet store, feed store or I have bought it at Wal-Mart in the pet department. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    What the heck is pine "straw"???

5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Never use cedar though, it is toxic to chickens.

6. weloveourchicks

weloveourchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

7. weloveourchicks

weloveourchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    so sorry; playing around with pictures and posted to wrong post.

-- Susan

8. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Quote:I think it means dried pine needles.

9. mudman

mudman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    Pine straw harbors and breeds fungal spores (bad for birds to breath) and doesn't absorb water. Pine shavings are the way to go. Functional and cheap.

10. GrinderBoy

GrinderBoy New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    Sorry for the years late response...

Pine "Straw" is a term for Pine tree "Needles". I hear that term used more by northerners and mid westerners. I am from Florida and heard the old timer Floridians call them Pine Needles. The terms now are interchangeable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by