Pine straw

jonbanks

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
:Hey everyone , can i use pine straw in chicken coop? im a city guy tryin learn. i just put my baby hens or pullets in an old dog kennel and tied screen to it . i keep it in my garage untill i can build the coop. i moved to the sticks like three years ago so im learning. ga is a different place, lol buti like it. anyway can i use pine straw for right now? the chicks havent compained and they are eatin and drinking... pooping too, lol:)
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Last edited:
You can use anything you want, it comes down to the absorbancy of what you are using, straw of any type will work to an extent, but its not very good, unless you really like cleaning your coop. Most tend to use pine shavings for absorbancy, and they are relatively cheep. Buy the big bundle from feed store, if you get it from pet shop you will spend too much for the same stuff.

Personally I wouldn't use pine straw. I use pine shavings. You can get a packaged bale either at a pet store, feed store or I have bought it at Wal-Mart in the pet department.
smile.png
caf.gif

Pine straw harbors and breeds fungal spores (bad for birds to breath) and doesn't absorb water. Pine shavings are the way to go. Functional and cheap.

Sorry for the years late response...

Pine "Straw" is a term for Pine tree "Needles". I hear that term used more by northerners and mid westerners. I am from Florida and heard the old timer Floridians call them Pine Needles. The terms now are interchangeable.

Back
Top Bottom