Pine Tar vs Blue Kote - Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dkosh, Feb 16, 2011.

1. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I have only used pine tar as a rule but I have never tried Blue Kote. So I was wondering what other people use and what they feel the pros and cons are. I like the pine tar because they don't pick at the wounds and the others leave them alone also. I don't like it because it ruins anything it touches and it can be very messy. I look forward to your thoughts. [​IMG]

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I use them both. First the Blue Kote then once it's dry put on the pine tar. Both will indelibly stain anything it touches.

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Like the pine tar. To keep the mess to a minimum we daub out a glop into a plastic medicine cup and microwave for a few seconds (nice workable consistency). Apply with either gloved fingers or flat plastic spatulas (coffee stirrers will work). Have also mixed with neosporin and antifungal ointment. Works great, but the birds won't be taking any ribbons until they've molted...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never used pine tar and have only used BluKote a few times. I'd rather deal with purple stain than a sticky mess. I wouldn't buy pine tar unless the BluKote didn't work.

5. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
  6. grammypam

grammypam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    I use Watkins PetroCarbo salve. Works for me.[​IMG]

7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Yes that is the blu-kote and thats what I use,use rubber gloves because its hard to get off and it does work very well its all I use.Covers up any blood or red spots that others love to pick at.Has saved the lives of a few of my hens

8. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used both, as well as "Rooster Booster" and, honestly, none of them worked all that well for preventing/protecting an injury from picking. It seems like anything unusual just draws the hens right to it, even if it's noxious. However, in my judgement, the pine tar was the best of the three, just because it is so thick, but OMG it makes a horrible mess of a chicken (and anything it touches) and is virtually impossible to get out of feathers as noted - but I never tried warming it up as in post above, so maybe that would help. Also have read posts that suggest Vicks (as in vapo rub) but not such a good idea - it can be toxic to chickens, particularly if absorbed through non-intact skin, which is presumably where you would be using it. I thought the Rooster Booster was completely useless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by