pineapple plants

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenbuddy0, Jan 24, 2010.

1. chickenbuddy0

chickenbuddy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    southwest Illinois
    Has any one out there ever grown a pineapple from the top of the plant? Well, I watched how to do it on youtube and did it last night. I'm looking forward to haveing them (I planted three) on my sunny patio this summer. Supposedly they make great house plants and sure will be an interesting conversation starter.

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    We did this years ago in my FFA class. It was so much fun! The teacher had a few from others years growing in the green house and the older ones were HUGE! The oldest (I think it was about 3 or 4 years old) actually grew a pineapple the year I graduated. It was a small one, but sooo adorable! From what I remember, it was very easy to do!

That year we also grew lemon trees, orange trees, cherry trees, cantalopes, and I even did an avocado. That thing lived for the longest time until it got too big for my house!

3. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    I've grown them before - it's a long process as it takes awhile to actually get a pineapple! Once they fruit they will grow 'pup' from the side of the plant which you will need to transplant to get more little pineapple growing plants [​IMG]

4. chickenbuddy0

chickenbuddy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    southwest Illinois
    thank you for replying. I'm really excited about it ! Or maybe I've got spring fever.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My mom used to grow them all the time. My mom could grow anything. I couldn't keep a rock alive. [​IMG]

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Thanks for reminding me about this!! I have had a pineapple top on my counter drying a bit for about a week now. Going to plant it!!!!

7. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Hubby and I visited a pineapple plantation in Costa Rica last year, it was very interesting!! I never knew that a pineapple is actually many many little fruits all together. Each little section is a fruit, how cute it that?! There are different kinds of pineapple, with the ones in our grocery stores a combinations of two kinds. Who would of known?
    Slinky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by