1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pinellas County Citizens for Backyard Poultry

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by pinellas4backyardpoultry, Sep 28, 2010.

1. pinellas4backyardpoultry

pinellas4backyardpoultry New Egg

Sep 28, 2010
    Dunedin, Florida
    Hi, I just signed up for this forum. I am a 4-H Leader in Dunedin Florida with a group of youth who are working on poultry and leadership projects. We are working to get the county ordinances changed to allow for backyard poultry keeping in the unincorporated poritions of Pinellas County. There are already 5 municipalities in our county that allow backyard poultry keeping. They are St. Petersburg, Largo, Gulfport, Dunedin, and Bellair. We have thoroughly researched the ordinances in our county hand have them all posted on our website on the Ordinance page along with references on where to find them in the Municode Library for confirmation. We presented at a county commission meeting in July and recently finished one on one meetings with each of the commissioners just today. For the most part they are open and supportive. Some of the commissioners have requested very specific information that we are working to provide them and we also need as much community support as we can muster. We have a petition on our website and need Pinellas County poultry advocates to sign and forward the link to the petition to all of their poultry friendly neighbors and friends. Probably the biggest obstacle we are facing right now is that none of the commissioners had heard of the practice of keeping backyard poultry and they didn't know that there was an interest/need in our county. What they didn't know is that there are thousands of people quietly yet illegally keeping backyard poultry thorughout the county without ever getting on the radar of the code enforcement department. However, teaching the children to be good citizens also includes teaching them to abide by laws. Since they want to keep their poultry legally, we need to get the ordinance changed. Thank you for your support!

http://pinellascountycitizensforbackyardpoultry.weebly.com/

2. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Good ! Fight the good fight !

3. nico demouse

nico demouse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Wow! Your website looks amazing! I may borrow some ideas from it for our fight in Illinois, if that's okay!

4. pinellas4backyardpoultry

pinellas4backyardpoultry New Egg

Sep 28, 2010
    Dunedin, Florida
    Of course! I'd be flattered. [​IMG] Check our press page for our latest TV interview that just viewed on Tuesday.

5. queen of recycle

queen of recycle New Egg

Apr 12, 2011
    Pinellas4Backyard Poultry: I would like to exchange communications with the Dunedin 4-H leader who is working to change and/or establish laws and ordinances regarding backyard poultry. Kindly contact me. Thank you. Queen of Recycle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by