Piney Chicken Lady - New to this...

pineychickenlady

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2021
Hey I am new to chickens! We did the hatchthechicken program and wound up keeping our babies. We fell in love with the little buggers, but we wound up with three roosters out of six birds. We would LOVE to have kept them, but feared we didn't have enough ladies to keep them happy and had the bigger issue of living in a neighborhood that doesn't allow them.
Luckily we had a farm willing to take them.
We now have 7 hens! 1 barred rock, 1 hyline and I believe 5 easter eggers.
Watching my girls interact with our new farmy friends has been the best. A second favorite is the peace I get taking care of them and watching them each day. I find myself daydreaming about upgrades I can made to our run or a bigger coop one day. Our hyline is laying regularly and our oldest easter egger laid 1 beautiful blue egg 3 weeks ago. Nothing from her since!
I'm a photographer and major league sports photo editor who moved back to her hometown in south Jersey two years ago. My hubs, kids, dog and chickens are enjoying life in the pine barrens of NJ.
I'm thankful to have found this website to help with all the questions that come being a new chicken mama.
I recently purchased a new autodoor and love it! We ran late a few nights and I worried my girls were susceptible to predators. This has eased my worries immensely. The next upgrade I'm looking at is a roll away nesting box. Wondering if you folks have a favorite - I'm considering the hengear or the bestnest box. Anyone have a fav?

Attachments

• IMG_9723.jpeg
    IMG_9723.jpeg
    940.9 KB · Views: 14
:welcome :frow I have never had the rollout egg nest boxes you referred to. Some years ago I did have some homemade rollout ones but I took them out and replaced them with another kind. I don't shut the pop doors. I put electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens and concrete under the gates, all due to losses from predators in the past. Nothing has breached since. You will find a lot of good information here BYCArticles.jpg Good luck with your birds and have fun...

:welcome :frow I have never had the rollout egg nest boxes you referred to. Some years ago I did have some homemade rollout ones but I took them out and replaced them with another kind. I don't shut the pop doors. I put electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens and concrete under the gates, all due to losses from predators in the past. Nothing has breached since. You will find a lot of good information here BYCArticles.jpg Good luck with your birds and have fun...
Thanks for this info! Had never considered electric. Will look into it.

Back
Top Bottom