Pinioned?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kathydoolittle, Feb 17, 2011.

1. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    Is it ok to pinioned my quail after there dry and I move them to the brooder. Or should I wait and do it at a later time? Thanks for your help.

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I just did some 2 week olds yesterday, there wings are'nt real big yet. I would let them get eating, drinking and "solid" before stressing them with the pinioning myself... Bill

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    So you have uncovered pens then? Personally I preffer not to pinion anything, but it should be done when they are less then 3 days old.

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    What sort of quails have you got? I never thought of pinioning quail before [​IMG]

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:VERY GOOD ADVICE! IDEAL TIME FOR PINIONING MOST GAMEBIRDS IS 2-3WKS OF AGE, BUT IT CAN BE PERFORMED AT ANY AGE. USUALLY ONCE THEY ARE 2+WKS OLD YOU'VE WEEDED OUT ANY WEAK NON SURVIVORS AND WHAT YOUR LEFT WITH IS EATING AND DRINKING GOOD... SO THE STRESSORS ARE MINIMIZED, THIS INCREASES THEM TOLERATING THE PROCEEDURE AS WELL AS POSSIBLE

6. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:I have a very open mind, some say vacant.... I would like to hear your reasoning why you feel under 3 days for pinioning. Bill

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Quote:I have a very open mind, some say vacant.... I would like to hear your reasoning why you feel under 3 days for pinioning. Bill

Because the bones have not began to develope as much and the wing is smaller and thinner. They have no feathers which makes it easier in general. It is not so much of a crunch as a soft cut and not so much of a full on wing. Just a tiny nub with a tiny cut. It is less stressful in my experience. Right when they leave the bator not much effects them that wouldn't already happen and they have the yolk sac to absorb and keep them going. They aren't moving much and just snuggle up under the light with the little bloody spot on the wing and seem basically uneffected.

Just my ways. I've done it only a small ammount of times and this worked for me.

9. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Interesting point of view. Thanks

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

Because the bones have not began to develope as much and the wing is smaller and thinner. They have no feathers which makes it easier in general. It is not so much of a crunch as a soft cut and not so much of a full on wing. Just a tiny nub with a tiny cut. It is less stressful in my experience. Right when they leave the bator not much effects them that wouldn't already happen and they have the yolk sac to absorb and keep them going. They aren't moving much and just snuggle up under the light with the little bloody spot on the wing and seem basically uneffected.

Just my ways. I've done it only a small ammount of times and this worked for me.

YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT QUAIL IN THIS RESPONSE YES?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by