Pinioning? Opinions and Experience?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jruner, Nov 25, 2008.

1. jruner

jruner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Challis, Idaho
    Has anyone pinioned their birds? What do you think about it? How would you do it? I think I will stick with clipping wings just curious mainly. I am not sure I could do it. Oh also how long until the clipped feathers grow back?

Thanks,

John Runer

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    IMO pinioning is cruel.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

what ta heck is it?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is cutting the boney tip of the wings off at that first joint.

Very cruel.

5. the1much

Quote:ACK,,, wut ta h&ll ,,,,, man,, what freak thought that up,, sorry i asked,,, least now i know who ta hit if i hear it said [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Totally unnecessary to mutilate a bird like that. Wing clipping is completely sufficient. If you have a tough case who keeps flying after clipping one wing, you just clip the other one. I dont care for the look of clipped wings, but sometimes, it's for their own protection. I've only done it once.

7. jruner

jruner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Challis, Idaho
    Thank you for the replies I too agree its cruel, I hope it is not very common. I would still like to know how often you have to clip the escape artist though.

John Runer

8. the1much

some of mine get 1 wing cut,,, once,,, i had 1 bird i had to clip both.,, but if they have them clipped, then cat fly,, after a couple tries, they stop trying to anymore, i have 2 or 3 hens that i clipped almost 2 years ago,, and havent had to do it again since.

9. 03kiger

03kiger New Egg

Apr 7, 2015
    Can anyone direct me to somewhere I can see pics and get directions for wing clipping? I'm a newby :) and getting a shipment of goslings in a few weeks. I don't want to lose them as soon as they can fly!

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Pinioning and wing clipping are 2 entirely different matters. Pinioning is mutilation, pure and simple. Wing clipping, is merely clipping the flight feathers. That being said, I have read that some of the wilder type of water fowl are sometimes pinioned so that they don't fly away and totally disappear from their farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by