Pinioning show ( runners) birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mominoz, Apr 29, 2009.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Can you show pinioned birds in a show? I may want to show eventually, and wonder if I could show Runners that are pinioned? I used to clip my chickens and geese till the geese couldn't fly over the fence.
    Don't want to loose my Runners, while they graze with my geese around our house/pasture-- Have a 4 ft. fence.
    But if I pinion the babies-- and later want to show some, is that a show no- no?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm not 100% sure, but I would say no. Judges look at their wings for a variety of things. They will most likely be disqualified.

Runners are not really known for their flying ability, so I don't think they really need to be pinioned in the first place.

3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    If you are talking about Indian runner ducks, they don't fly.

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The only breeds that can be shown pinioned in the APA are calls, east indies, mallards, muscovy, canada goose and egyptian goose.

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Runners that can fly probably do not have the right type for showing.

6. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I concur with what had already been said. I have never had a Runner that could fly. I know I have heard of one (maybe on Feathersite?). That is definitely the exception though. Most couldn't even begin to get over a 4 foot fence.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My runner flies like a brick

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Just to confirm what others have said. If your runner can fly there would be no reason to show it because it would be a very poor runner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by