pink and bare around vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiebabee, Dec 5, 2016.

1. chickiebabee

chickiebabee New Egg

Dec 5, 2016
    I have four chickens and noticed that one of them has lost feathers around her vent, about a 2-3 inch diameter. We checked for mites and didn't see any. Its not red or sore looking just kinda bald. she seems fine, but it has been real cold this week . there coop is filled with cedar chips for bedding and they do sit on their perches but I'm not sure how they sleep. Is there something I should be doing?

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    She is likely being feather picked by one or more of the other birds. This often happens while they are roosting.
    I solved it by increasing the spacing and angle of my roosts so they they aren't closely 'head to tail" while on the roosts.
    The feathers probably won't grow back until the next molt.
    You can also try increasing the protein in their feed as this can sometimes contribute to feather picking, though with only one affected I'd be more likely to suspect she's low in pecking order and getting picked on.

3. chickiebabee

chickiebabee New Egg

Dec 5, 2016
    she is actually the "boss bird" and is a real piggy when it comes to being first in line for treats. This morning it is looking a little more red, like "diaper rash" Its been real cold and damp, could that be contributing?

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Do you have a Rooster?

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old?

6. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I'm thinking it is probably feather picking....do you have a picture?

7. chickiebabee

chickiebabee New Egg

Dec 5, 2016
    No there's no rooster. they are pretty crowded in their coop and since its so cold they stay bunched up at night. Would it hurt to put some Blue-Kot in it ? they are all active and feisty just like normal and I've not found any little tan bugs on any of them.

8. Janie hall

Janie hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    I had a turken hen with same issue took her n house and gave her a bath soak with dawn dish soap and warm water held her for 15 MIN so vent was under water then dried her and keep n house till dry put n a small kennel and 2 minutes after she passed her egg. The egg wasn't visible nor could I feel it.

9. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Definitely wouldn't hurt, though if the chickens are persistence enough, they will keep feather picking through the Blue Kot. Keep us updated on how she does and if you any questions please ask!
    A great cure for egg bound hens! But in this case, the hen is being feather picked, and she is not egg bound. :)

10. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Agree,No feathers on the butt has nothing to do with being egg bound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by