Pink and Blue Honduran Chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by justdeb1107, Nov 6, 2012.

1. justdeb1107

justdeb1107 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2012
    Vance, AL
    I had a fun conversation the other day with the wife of a doctor who goes on mission trips to give free medical care. She took these pictures in Honduras with her cell phone. They were in an intensely poverty-stricken area, and despite the language barrier she found out there were not dyed. The native people had no money for the basic necessities of life, much less went around dying chickens. I don't know what to make of these, but I thought the forum would be interested. I would love to have some of these cuties at my house!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Those are definitely dyed! Sorry to be the party pooper, but I find it hard to believe :oops:

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Chick embryo dyeing... Google image it!

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    It is actually a common practice to inject dye into eggs before they hatch to color-identify chicks of different matings.... I have a book that shows how.

5. justdeb1107

justdeb1107 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2012
    Vance, AL
    Well, darn! I knew it had to be too good to be true. But why on earth in such a poor location go to the expense/trouble? These birds were running loose.

6. aoxa

Probably some higher paid people bought them at Easter and got tired of them. That's usually how it goes.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2

8. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Those chicks were definitely colored. Its super easy and dye is actually pretty cheap. Especially if they made the dye from natural resources (like berries). Its a great way for someone with little money to make a profit.

9. aoxa

They look really well fed for wild chickens. :)

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pretty granted some don't like the idea of this

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by