pink comb whay could it be !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shauna89, Jan 4, 2015.

1. shauna89

shauna89 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

2. shauna89

Dec 7, 2014
    She was always the first out the run in the morning and the loudest! Lol but for the last week she has been quite and not even running out for her treats in the evening she does still come out but she is far from being her self this is first time owning chicken so I'm not 100% on what to do any help or advice would be great full thanks

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    She really does have a pale comb! Is she eating/drinking properly? Have you picked her up to check her weight, has she lost weight? How are her poops? Regular or runny? Discolored at all?
    Could be a number of things, but my first guess would be either worms or coccidiosis. Have they been wormed at all?
    Would love to help, but need some more info to narrow it down.

4. shauna89

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm getting the worming food next week and as to poo its hard to know what ones hers but noticed a runny white one yesterday. in the coop they are all normal poo and don't seem to have lost weight and not eating as much as she normally does :(

5. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    They all have a runny poop every so often, just shouldn't be every poop. Can you isolate her? Do you have an area where you can keep her separated in the coop or in a kennel? This will help you to see all her symptoms, yes that means the poop. And check her crop when she is going to roost, it should be full but not hard. Has she been laying, did she stop?
    And I think for worming that you are best using just a direct wormer and not one mixed in feed, but I could be wrong in that. Can't remember the name, might have been Valbazen? That works for all types of worms. Be careful because some only work for specific types of worms.

6. shauna89

Dec 7, 2014
    I was gonna get flubenvet layers pellets and as to lay ing she still laying only 2 of three lay and I don't have any where I could put her might have to try male something for her

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Well, if she's still laying then that rules out being egg-bound. I looked it up and the broad spectrum wormer is Valbazen. I would try that first, and it gets them all wormed as well. I hope that helps, I have no other guesses right now. Good luck and keep us updated.

1 person likes this.
  8. shauna89

Dec 7, 2014
    Ok great I'll get some of that thanks for your help and will update you got somewhere I can put her to so. Can keep close eye on her to

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

That's good, should be less stressful on her. Make sure you do check her crop, in morning and evening. Should be empty in morn and full in even. If her crop is really hard, that is not good. Hopefully it is just a bad case of worms and she gets better quick. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by