Pink Delaware Pullets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kipper, Nov 21, 2009.

1. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Our two Delaware pullets are just beginning to lay and the feathers on their backs near their tails have turned a pale pink color. Is this normal?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, not normal. Maybe they rubbed up against something. Delawares have black and white and nothing else in their plumage.

3. kipper

That's what we were thinking. It's almost a salmon color, very faint, and can only be seen in good lighting. It is beyond me what could be coloring them. The Delawares are so sweet, I think they are my favorites![​IMG]

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    do you have pics?

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

Someone else asked me the same question, about pink on Delawares and realized they had gotten something on them, not actually sprouted pink feathers--think it was Yard Full 'o Rocks. I know that some who have Production Red in their lines will show red smut, but don't think it's what I'd call pink.

7. kipper

I will take some photos this morning and post them today. The coloring is very subtle, I will see if I can capture it.

8. speckledhen

I have several birds with pink feathers...from rubbing up against my Victorian Garnet wet paint on the coop trim, LOL. That was months ago and they still have pink on them. LOL.

9. kipper

Here are the pictures. You can see it is not mud as that is also shown. The cockerel does not have any pink on his back, too manly for that I suppose.[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Thats different but i like it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by