Pink, dull shell from new layer...is this normal?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have a 23 week old Dominique who started laying a week ago. She laid her 4th egg today. All have been very light brown/beige almost pink colored shell. There's no sheen. Is this normal? Does it mean it's not getting the bloom coating?
20211022_130848.jpg

So you think it's heavy bloom rather than no bloom? I see! I'm new to raising chickens. Thanks!
Yes, heavy bloom looks chalky and usually makes brown eggs look more pink and occasionally purple. My regular spotted quail eggs look almost blue with heavy bloom. The bottom right eggs have heavy bloom, they even feel kind of rough sometimes.
IMG_20210819_162431_HDR.jpg

I have a 23 week old Dominique who started laying a week ago. She laid her 4th egg today. All have been very light brown/beige almost pink colored shell. There's no sheen. Is this normal? Does it mean it's not getting the bloom coating?
View attachment 2875356
I have a production red laying a brown egg with the same finish! I wondered why as well. The pink is pretty though. Sorry I’m no help, following along

Yes, blue layers are called Celedon Coturnix. They're fun little birds and lay a ton!
Wow they are too pretty to eat! I don't know anything about quails but I know several people that raise both chickens and quails. I'm still trying to figure out the whole chicken bit! Thanks for sharing!
I think the pinkish color is the shell color.
I decided to wash the bloom off from the egg I got yesterday and had in the original pic to see!...it's the one on the lower right. The lower left is one of her typical eggs unwashed. (The others are just her sisters eggs!)
20211023_123940.jpg

Yes, heavy bloom looks chalky and usually makes brown eggs look more pink and occasionally purple. My regular spotted quail eggs look almost blue with heavy bloom. The bottom right eggs have heavy bloom, they even feel kind of rough sometimes.View attachment 2875425
That's a great picture for comparison!

Did quails lay the all blue eggs at the you of your photo too?

They are all so pretty and interesting!

Back
Top Bottom