pink egg turns color under water?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BankerJohn, Aug 13, 2010.

1. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    Yesterday, my daughter found a pink egg. PINK!

This morning, when we washed the egg, it turned brown when the egg was washed / got wet. Is it the bloom that is pink in color? Is this normal? Could I actually get pink eggs again?

Thanks for your replies.

Also, upgraded the golf balls in the nest to Pro-V 1's to try and get better eggs. I hope the chickens aren't scared of the Bull (Merrill Lynch) logo on the balls ... [​IMG]

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    My pink eggs turn brown when wet but when dry again are pink again.

3. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    Yeah, I have one hen that lays a pinkish egg. I believe its the pigment of the shell and not the bloom. But hey i'm no chicken expert.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've had this too, and lavenderish ones which turn light brown on wetting. i think it is the pigment,

sandie

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The brown or pink color on eggs is a layer of color that's added to the outside of the egg. If you look at the inside of the shell, you'll see that it's white. Being wet or dry effects how the color looks, just like with most fabrics, woods, etc. With blue eggs, the color is incorporated into the shell. Green eggs are a combination of the two. They are from blue pigment in the shell and have a brown layer applied to the outside of the shell.

6. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    we got another pink egg today! woohoo!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by