Pink Egg Whites?

3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
Hey all - so one of my ducks (pretty sure its the same one) has started laying. She hasn't been too consistent which makes sense to me, because it's cold, wet, and gross outside. I went to crack open some of her eggs this morning for breakfast and noticed that there was a pink-ish tinge to the whites against my semi-white bowl. So I went ahead and cracked open the rest (5 in total) and they were all pink. There was little black flecks on the yolks and one tiny bubble of red in the white chord part.

I've been keeping them in the fridge unwashed, because she's been good about hiding them or laying somewhere in the yard. I looked it up, but wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this? My gut (and the internet) tells me it's probably just a bit of blood, but then I read things about it being bacteria. I did wash with warm water before cracking and could feel some silkiness which I'm guessing is the bloom? The shells were pretty solid when cracking too.

I did end up eating them, as everything fried up looking normal and they tasted delicious.

egg-white.jpg

I had heard an old wives tale that mallow (malva neglectus or something similar), a weed that is not poisonous and tastes good in salads, can turn whites pink. I didn't believe it. Do you have any mallow weed on the property? maybe the tale is true. If so they'd be fine to eat. (the weed and the eggs I mean)

I had heard an old wives tale that mallow (malva neglectus or something similar), a weed that is not poisonous and tastes good in salads, can turn whites pink. I didn't believe it. Do you have any mallow weed on the property? maybe the tale is true. If so they'd be fine to eat. (the weed and the eggs I mean)

Looking it up I don't have mallow, but we do have buttonweed which is in the same family, so maybe that's doing it? So wild!

Back
Top Bottom