PINK eggs! I think my pullets have started laying! (pics!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dianneS, Nov 19, 2009.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have had EE for a while, they've only ever laid green eggs. I've never had the elusive pink egg. I had a few cross bred chicks in the spring, they are just reaching laying age. All of my other hens are on their winter break or still molting.

I've been getting a few really nice green eggs lately and I think that they are coming from one of the cross bred pullets. Tonight I got an egg that I thought was just a tinted banty egg, but when I got it inside, I saw it was much bigger and much PINKER!! I think one of my EE mutt pullets is a pink egg layer! I'm so excited!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Post photos of your PINK egg! I would love to see it! Congratulations [​IMG]

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    AHEM! I'm very happy for you, really I am, but you need to post PICTURES!!!!! [​IMG] (please?)

4. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yeah!!!! We need to see the pictures!!![​IMG]

5. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I never even thought of posting pics of an egg! Chicks and chickens of course... but, I'll go get the camera now!!

Okay okay, I've got some pics and I'm also starting to hate my camera. Now I know why it was a WalMart black Friday special.
    Here is the best pic I got, its next to a store bought jumbo white egg. It can't be a tinted bantam egg because its too big, so it has to be from one of my EE/bantam cross pullets that has just started laying. I only have one brown egg layer, and she lays HUGE eggs and much darker in color! This egg is much pinker than a tinted bantam eggs too. I wish it would show up better on film!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Okay I tried outsmarting my Mind-of-its-own camera and taking some pics without a flash. This one is a little blurry, but maybe the color is a little better??? It still looks alot like a tinted egg on film, but by comparison, its much pinker. If I wouldn't have eaten all of my tinted and green eggs this morning, I would take pics next to those to compare! Maybe I have the shells in the kitchen trash can?? I'll go look!
    [​IMG]

Okay, here is a pic next to a green egg shell and a tinted egg shell from breakfast this morning. (My hens haven't been laying, so I've been eating them as fast as they produce them!) It looks pinkish to me, and its certainly a new color for us! Yay! I love a colorful egg basket.
    Now I guess I should take these egg shells back down to the kitchen trash can or else my husband will find it odd to see egg shell in the office paper can!

[​IMG]

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Very nice! Thanks for posting pics. We are just a little picture hungry around here [​IMG]
    Ps I rinse, dry, and crush my egg shells, and feed them back to the birds for extra calcuim.

8. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I thought about doing that. I used to feed egg shells to my zebra finches for extra calcium!

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Beautiful egg! When I had barred rocks they always laid eggs that were pink like that. I like the colored ones much better than plain boring white.

10. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Nice eggs...
    I rinse, dry, and crush my egg shells, and feed them back to the birds for extra calcuim.

I do this too.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by