Pink Eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LN2008, Nov 11, 2011.

1. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    I noticed today that one of my chickens has an eye which is slightly swollen. She can still see just fine as it is not swollen shut. It's a little pinker than the other eye as well. Could it be pink eye? If it is, what do I do for it? The other girls seem fine and she isn't acting like anything is wrong. Help!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    A really good picture of the eye / face area would help.

Are there any little bubbles in the eye?

Do you have any triple antibiotic oinment ( WITHOUT PAIN KILLER)?

MANY MANY MANY diseases show up in chickens as eye issues and then progress into more syptoms.

How long have you had this bird?
    Have you made any changes to the flock, feed, living conditions?

What kind of area is it staying in?

Here are some previous posts to read while you get around to providing us with more information.
    Pink Eye is NOT as common with birds as it is with humans. With birds, the eyes normally indicate the birds over all health.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36823

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=183078

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=174033

3. LN2008

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    There aren't any bubbles around the eye. It just looks a bit swollen and like her eye is watering a tad bit more. Like it's more moist than the other. No bubbles.

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:No bubbles is good. She is you can get a picture of it. You can use the triple antibiotic ointment ( like neosporin) JUST MAKE SURE THERE IS NO PAIN KILLER IN IT. Use a Q-tip and apply it to her lid ( top or bottom) and the eye will absorb it.

Is it in both eyes or just one? Are you seeing any scabs on comb, wattles, eye, any of the pink fleshy parts of the face? ? ?

5. LN2008

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Quote:No bubbles is good. She is you can get a picture of it. You can use the triple antibiotic ointment ( like neosporin) JUST MAKE SURE THERE IS NO PAIN KILLER IN IT. Use a Q-tip and apply it to her lid ( top or bottom) and the eye will absorb it.

Is it in both eyes or just one? Are you seeing any scabs on comb, wattles, eye, any of the pink fleshy parts of the face? ? ?

No I haven't seen any other scabs and it's just that one eye. Part of me things she just got something in it, like an injury or something. Everything else on her looks good. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by