pink feathers on trout runners???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Nov 25, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    the ducks are 3 weeks old on thursday and they are starting to get feathers, i can see lots of feathers sprouting everwhere and they are pink! i would take a pic but i have no batteries for the camera it uses them really quickly!! anyways does anybody else have trout runners? the lady i bought the eggs from did say she didnt know how pure breed they were, so maybe il end up with some funky coloured pink ducks [​IMG]

2. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    trout runners seem to be really rare! i can only find a few pics of them on the net, and the adults look like mallards, the runner and mallard drakes look the same and the runner/mallard hens look the same, if thats the case its gonna be a lot easier finding out what sex they are

3. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Wow! Has it been 3 weeks since they hatched!? It sure doesn't seem like it's been that long ago, in duck time anyway. Hope you can get some pics posted soon. I don't have ducks yet so have to enjoy the stories and pics of everyone here.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Those are probably the pin (blood) feathers you see coming in. They are pink until the feather begins to mature and sprout from the shaft. Give them a few more days and you'll be able to tell a difference.

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I hope you didn't have your heart set on Trout Runners, because your adorable little ducklings are definitely not Trout color. Trout ducklings look similar to what we call Greys (Mallard color). Here is a link that has a pic of Trout, Blue Trout, and Apricot Trout.

http://ashtonwaterfowl.net/indian_pics.htm

Your ducklings appear to have Runner pattern, the feather pattern of Penciled and Fawn and Whites. Personally, I love the Runner pattern. I am not sure what colors you have there in Runner pattern (aren't you in the UK?). Runner pattern comes in several colors and the birds can vary a lot in the amount of white. I think the birds that have more dark color than white are so pretty. I can't wait to see how yours turn out!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  6. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:its fine i didnt want trout runners, i didnt even ask before i bought them i just knew they were runners lol, il dig out some recent pics from before the batteries in the cam went

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    trout and gray mallard are the same thing i believe...

what we call fawn and white, is the whie with tannish coloring in the head and back.
    what the uk often calls fawn and white is black on the head, with tan on the back (we call this penciled)

I think... lol this is just what i gather. from reading lots of websites...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  8. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    it seems in the uk you guys have access to a lot more colors of runners than we do here... it seems everyone in the uk can get rare colors people have a hard time finding here... lol.

Do you know what other color runners the women who sold you the eggs had?

10. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:i just sent her a message on ebay, i want them to be fawn and white now [​IMG] ps are trout runners rare? in the us anyway?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by