Pink in combs of 9 & 10 week olds...UPDATE:PIX ADDED

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gindee77, May 31, 2008.

1. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Or could they still be females? When do females get pink in their combs? All of them are starting to develop a bit but nothing huge. My sex-link pullets are getting pink in the comb and their wattles are starting to develop a bit too. So I'm assuming that my others could still be females even tho they have a bit of pink in their combs.

What do you think? Do you need pix to see them? I have a few.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    What breed are they? that makes a difference. I know delaware hens have red combs and wattles on the females and males, just that the males are must larger.

3. Gindee77

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    They are Golden Comets sex-link chicks. Also a couple EE's and so far, my Buff Orp has no red or pink

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    i'm no expert at all, but my EE does not have any red yet at 5 weeks. i'm sure someone else will chime in. sorry i'm not more help!

5. Gindee77

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Mine didn't have red/pink until just a few days ago...and they are just over 10 wks old. I'm not sure when hens can start getting red in their combs? My GC's are getting red tho and they are 9 wks old. So I'm hoping that red isn't too much of an issue at this age. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Can you post pics of the ones in question?

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:GCs are a production breed so it would make sense that they develope earlier than other breeds so a little red may not be bad ; where as Buff Orp I am told develope later than most so if it is a female buff orp it shouldnt have developed red yet for comparison

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If they are sex-links there shouldn't be any issue. The boys are a completely different color from the girls at birth so I can't imagine you would be given roos on accident. Gold sex-link girls are red or gold colored as day-olds and boys are much, much lighter. That's the great thing about sex-links, no confusion.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:GCs are a production breed so it would make sense that they develope earlier than other breeds so a little red may not be bad ; where as Buff Orp I am told develope later than most so if it is a female buff orp it shouldnt have developed red yet for comparison

So you have early developing GC which you know are girls and late developing BO and the unknown chicks which are developing some red,,,,,,,,sounds like you are still safe(possible females) but keep an eye on them
    [​IMG]

10. Gindee77

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Quote:Sure...here ya go...these are pictures of them at just over 10 weeks old.

This is Abbie...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Emma...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is Maggie...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by