pink legs with black spots??? ***pics added***

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Nov 16, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have a little roo here who has really stumped me so far as too what he is.

he hatched from a dark chocolate marans egg...so i presumed his mom (and dad) were from my marans breeding group (i collected the egg from the nests in this enclosure).
    but....this little roo has a beard...and muffs(!) and his legs are pink with black spots!!
    ive never seen or heard of a marans roo with muff/beard combination.....is it possibly..or did i have a sneaky ee roo get busy with my marans lady? every other part of this roo screams marans (he even has the gold flecks on his neck from the gold cuckoo marans momma!) in about 2 hours it will go dark out so i can catch him and get some pics to show you..... im guessing i cant use him to breed marans from...which is a bit of a downer as he was the only roo that hatched and i was hoping to retire his father....

edited for pics! (his muffy bits and beard are wet so dont show so well, but they are usually very prominent!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(that is a chunk of bread in his mouth!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Sorry, gotta see a picture- do you have one?[​IMG]

3. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    if he has beards and muffs the EE got bussy but you know this allready and did not whant to beleve it

4. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

My Houdans have pink legs with black mottling...

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    pics added to 1st post [​IMG]

6. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    he is veeeery stylish with his poka dot logs

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    he is, isnt he?

shame i dont know what he really is though!

8. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

did you have the EE with the marans for a while... or vise versa? Do they free range together at times? Some how your marans was exposed to the EE and created a very unique colored bird.
    I wouldn't breed him to your marans unless you are only using them for eggs. He is most certinaly mixed pure Marans do not have beards or muffs, no spots on legs, and his waddles are incorrect as well. I wouldn't exactly suggest him for an olive egger project either since they end up better if you use a pure marans over ees or pure amaraucanas, or vise versa.
    But hey, if he's got a great personality you could always have a eating egg flock to keep him in.... that's what I do with my "cull" BCMs and the Nice personality but poor markings of the bunch [​IMG]

9. chicky2009

chicky2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    Looks Like Ee And Br.

10. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    is most definatly not br [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by