Pink Legs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rhino7, Oct 22, 2011.

1. rhino7

rhino7 New Egg

Mar 3, 2011
    Two questions , 1) On two of my roosters , their legs have turned partially pink. If it was my leg I would be going for a tetnus shot. They act, walk, and seem perfectly normal. What's up? 2) Do I have two many roosters? 22 Hens , 5 Roosters , 2 Guineas. If so what will the problems be?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Shouldn`t be any problems. Some legs turn pink, or even reddish when the weather is rainey. Could that be your case?..........Pop

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Are they just now becoming sexually mature? You will notice on alot of roosters that the skin around the bottom and the legs can get some red in them once the testosterone starts flowing.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    you should knock that number down to 2 roos, 'maybe' 3...depending on the attitude...once they become mature, (if they aren't already) the girls may be too stressed with all the attention!

5. rhino7

rhino7 New Egg

Mar 3, 2011
    Roosters are 1) 7 month old Black Sex Link , Started 2 months ago , 2) 2 year old ? , started turning pink two weeks ago.

29 hens instead of 22, Accidentally ended up with 3 Aracuna Roos, at 6 months now. When they go after a hen, it's three on one. The other roos ,run to help the accosted hen.
    It is quite violent.

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Can this reddening occur on maturing BR pullets too??

7. rhino7

rhino7 New Egg

Mar 3, 2011
    We have had 1 inch of rain since last Oct 1.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    pips&peeps :

Are they just now becoming sexually mature? You will notice on alot of roosters that the skin around the bottom and the legs can get some red in them once the testosterone starts flowing.

Yep, it's hormones.​

9. rhino7

rhino7 New Egg

Mar 3, 2011
    l

10. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Has anyone seen this in pullets?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by