Pink or Blue? Bantam Genders - Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MROO, Apr 27, 2018.

1. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

Hi All,
    We have a batch of bantam chicks that we've just moved outside to the Halfway-House - Halfway between hatching and the coop! We're newbies, so we're just guessing on genders, so I figured it would be a good idea to ask the BYC community for a little assistance.
    The pics aren't the best, thanks to using an older phone and disturbing chicks that were still exploring their new digs. If the pics don't load the first time (I haven't quite mastered this, yet!) bear with me, I'll try again in a few minutes.
    Here goes ...
    [​IMG]
    Spunky, 8 weeks - Started out solid black, but now looks like a black-headed, wonky-patterned Sebright? Comb is very small. Solid black eyes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Featherfoot, 8 weeks - Porcelain D'Uccle, and my daughter's favorite! We're desperately hoping she's a she!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Someone in the Halfway House is crowing - and we're pretty sure it's this little one - so "his" name is Yukon - after Yukon Cornelius, because he's silver and gold. He started out solid white. I have no idea about his breed. My first thought was buff Japanese, but there's no hint of dark in his tail. Can anyone tell me what he is ... and if we're right to assume that this one is our crower, so far?

We also have two Silver Sebrights. They are unnamed as of yet because they won't sit still long enough for us to really differentiate between them!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Silver 1 may well be named Sulky - because of the reaction to being handled. A genuine, bona-fide, slouching sulk. Too funny! This one has fine, silver, hair-like feathers on it's neck that look suspiciously like hackle feathers, but an almost non-existent comb.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Silver 2 has the same tiny comb but is a bit darker around the neck - which is the only way we can really tell them apart, at the moment. Oh - and this one doesn't sulk!

We have a few more to post, but I haven't gotten pics of the Gold Sebrights, yet and some younger porcelain D'Uccles that are too young to tell anything about, yet. Besides that, I've already overloaded the pics and don't want to push my luck!
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. Tiana's chickens

Tiana's chickens Songster

Dec 7, 2017
    I'm not sure about the rest but Yukon is definitely a boy

drumstick diva and JedJackson like this.
  3. Tiana's chickens

Tiana's chickens Songster

Dec 7, 2017
    All very cute :)

drumstick diva and JedJackson like this.
  4. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    You couldn't get a more obvious cockerel than Yukon. That comb is loud and proud. I think he must be a red pyle Old English game bantam, but his legs should be white, not yellow. He's awesome. The rest all look like pullets so far.

Alexandra33 and drumstick diva like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 Jed Jackson

Alexandra33 and JedJackson like this.
  6. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

X3, except a Red Pyle OEGB cockerel should have red shoulder patches. :) At least, from what I understand. :D

~Alex

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    JedJackson likes this.
  7. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Porcelain D'uccle Cockerel
    Red Pyle OEGB Cockerel
    Silver Sebright Pullet

8. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

I should be so lucky!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed! If they are, then, considering the "odds factor," all five of our Silkies will be cockerels! I guess that's okay, though, since at least two are slated for pet homes where the kids can't have cats and Mom doesn't want surprise chicks!

Alexandra33 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: