Pink/plum shells ISO pics, and genetic info

Rose Quartz

Enabler
6 Years
Mar 18, 2018
East Hants N.S. Canada
Does anybody have any pink or plum eggs that would be willing to take pictures of the inside of the shell under the membrane, for me? I'm trying to figure out if it goes through the shell or if it is only on the outside.

also I'm interested in, if your hen used to lay a different color egg, and now it has a pink-ish color to the shell.

also ;) if any of you have any knowledge about egg shell genetics, and want to share that would be great!

What I "know" so far(feel free to correct me, I'm likely wrong):

1. Eggs are either white or blue.
  2. the brown color is a pigment that is added on the outside of the egg before the cuticle/bloom. There are multiple genes for the different shades of brown. (the only number I've seen is 13 possibly more)
  3. the cuticle/bloom is a clear layer on the outside of the egg that protects the egg from bacteria, it is not a part of the shell, and it's application can overlap the time when the brown pigment is added causing the bloom to take on a color - pink.
  4. I also know there are color suppressing traits, but I haven't looked in to them yet.

the problem, or question I'm running into with regard to genetics is: If the pink color is only showing because of the bloom, why are there egg shells that are pink on the inside? like post # 67 here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pink-eggs.454803/page-7 it's hard to see because the membrane is still on the inside of the shell, but it looks pink to me. And the person who took the picture thought it looked pink.

One of the eggs I'm currently incubating appears pinkish to me. I do not know the hen, only that the rooster was a Cochin of unknown color, and that the potential hens are: Cochin, RIR, EE, unknown black or unknown buff.

The person I got the eggs from thought #4 came from the 'unknown black', so that's probably not the hen, and I'm pretty sure #12 is from the EE, so again, probably not responsible. The egg in question is #2 in this picture. Would that be considered pink?

6-5-18.JPG

If so, I should be able to get a look and/or photo of the inside of it in... about ten days.

One of the eggs I'm currently incubating appears pinkish to me. I do not know the hen, only that the rooster was a Cochin of unknown color, and that the potential hens are: Cochin, RIR, EE, unknown black or unknown buff.

The person I got the eggs from thought #4 came from the 'unknown black', so that's probably not the hen, and I'm pretty sure #12 is from the EE, so again, probably not responsible. The egg in question is #2 in this picture. Would that be considered pink?

View attachment 1434842

If so, I should be able to get a look and/or photo of the inside of it in... about ten days.
I would consider #2 and #6 to have some pink going on. possibly even #8 and #7, if these are true to life colors. :D that would be awesome! I have a couple in my incubator too, but they aren't as pink as your #2.

I would consider #2 and #6 to have some pink going on. possibly even #8 and #7, if these are true to life colors. :D that would be awesome! I have a couple in my incubator too, but they aren't as pink as your #2.

#2 is the one that really came across as pink to me, but I can get photos of all of those when they're done cooking!

I have never really gotten into the whole pink egg thing to much.
I think its in the eye of the beholder. 90% plus of the pink eggs I've seen appear brown to me.
Once way back in the day I had a couple bantam orps that laid very pinkish eggs.
Fast forward a few decades and a few thousand chickens later and I've stumbled onto another.
A sussex I have now although i haven't got an egg from her in a couple months.
Her "pink" is from the bloom only it doesn't penetrate the shell.
If you catch it freshly laid it looks the pinkest. Once it dries it looks less pink. It is easy to rub off and looks plain ol light brown underneath.

Found the elusive pink egg layer! Go to Painted Egg farms on FB. Their cover photo is a pink egg. An Easter Egger lays them.

I have never really gotten into the whole pink egg thing to much.
I think its in the eye of the beholder. 90% plus of the pink eggs I've seen appear brown to me.
Once way back in the day I had a couple bantam orps that laid very pinkish eggs.
Fast forward a few decades and a few thousand chickens later and I've stumbled onto another.
A sussex I have now although i haven't got an egg from her in a couple months.
Her "pink" is from the bloom only it doesn't penetrate the shell.
If you catch it freshly laid it looks the pinkest. Once it dries it looks less pink. It is easy to rub off and looks plain ol light brown underneath.

That's how my sisters eggs are too (langshan but a light color brown shell). the pink will wipe off. I haven't checked inside them before, though since I've been incubating all the eggs she gives me. and it's never occurred to me to check.

Back
Top Bottom