Pink Poop? Diseased?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heidi, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I have about 20 chicks ages 3 weeks to 6 weeks all in a 8 x10 shed with a heat lamp. They have plenty wood shavings and their water and food is changed every day. All of them look and act healthy. This weekend I found pinkish poop and didn't think much of it. Then I found some more today. Please tell me this is normal. They are on medicated chick feed and I've hatched out all of them except 4 of them that I received 2 weeks ago from a very reputable breeder.

[​IMG]

Any help would be wonderful as I'm starting to worry.

2. Heidi

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Anyone??? I just want to know if this is normal??? It doesn't look like blood, but tissue.....

3. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    Doesnt look like anything I've seen yet. Sorry, I'm no expert. Hope someone else has some ideas.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've seen lots of interesting poos... did the girls get into something like beets or other colorful food? Interesting rainbows of poo can happen depending on what they found good to eat.

5. Heidi

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Silkiechicken - they are on only chick feed. As far as I know they have no access to any other food. I haven't had them outside for a few days because it turned cold so it couldn't be that. So it's probably nothing to worry about? They all seem fine.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Heidi, is there any way you could split your coop/run? If you could split it in half, then you'd have a better idea of who it might be....then you wouldn't have as many to watch so closely. Just a thought. It looks like some sort of tissue to me, but I'm NO expert by any means.

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    no that does not look normal at all and it is possible with cocci to get it even though you have them on medicated feed (however they would also be hunched or fluffling their feathers as a sign of illness if this were the case) however it might also be due to some enteral problem or if you have them on the ground it might be due to them having eaten some insect or such?...do you have them on the ground or in a brooder?
    Definitely try and spot the ones that are responsible for this poo and spearate them to monitor any symptoms more closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by