Pink pumpkin thing attached to navel of duckling... what is it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Webbigail, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Webbigail

Webbigail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Bay Area, CA.
    Shes healthy otherwise. Kicking around, breathing normally, peeping...

She just hatched this morning and part of what looks like the yolk sack is still attached along with this pink pumpkin looking thing. Any thoughts?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds like she hasn't absorbed the yolk sac all the way. Do you have a picture?

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I had the same thing happen I did not want it to suffer so I culled it, I am sorry I posted a while back in December and it seemed like the best thing to do. To me it seemed as though all of its insides were not fully inside its belly and I could not imagine it surviving for long. But now that you call yours pumpkin looking it sounds like it may look the same as mine did.

I hope someone has advice for you better than what I had to do.

4. Webbigail

Oct 7, 2008
    Bay Area, CA.
    This is the best pic I could get. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I don't mean to be a downer, but I had a button hatch like this, and it ended up passing, despite having appeared otherwise healthy and strong. Hopefully someone else knows something to do.

6. Webbigail

Oct 7, 2008
    Bay Area, CA.
    Thanks everyone. Hopefully it's something that can be absorbed or fixed or something so the baby doesn't die.

7. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Did you or some one help hatch her out . The way she is still curled up in a ball and so much of the yolk sac is still not absorbed it seems like some one may have helped it out . I had had chicks and ducklings hatch out on thier own with some yolk but they walked around fine and then the yolk absorbed

8. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    The best that I can suggest is to make sure that the humidity is really high, so that it doesn't dry out and crust up. If it's moist, it may be easier to absorb.

9. Webbigail

Oct 7, 2008
    Bay Area, CA.
    She hatched on her own. Pipped two nights ago and then hatched this morning. She's 4 days over due, should there still be that much of a yolk sac?

The humidity is up and shes stayed in the incubator the entire time. Is there a chance for her surviving?

10. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    That's insane. What were the temperatures? She could still make it, nobody knows for sure if she will or not. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by