Pink Rashes on Legs and Feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speckled_egg, Dec 31, 2010.

1. speckled_egg

speckled_egg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hello all,

My boyfriend has had my girls these last few months I've been across state, and when I came home today I noticed they all had rashes! He's been taking fabulous care of them, they've been eating well - a lot of greens, creepy crawlers and kitchen scraps, along with access to organic geek pellets and oyster shells - and have a LOT of space to run. Their coop is cement-bottomed with pine shavings and is cleaned every three months or so. There are screened windows for ventilation, and no rodent problems.

The girls are between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old, and are currently molting. We have buff orpingtons, a rhode island red, a polish, and a bantam frizzle.

The rashes are pink, and are between the toes and on the undersides of the legs, not on the scales. The girls don't seem to notice the rashes, and my boyfriend says they've had them for at least a week. They all have the same symptoms. The only major change in their lives has been a move - they went from a dirt-bottomed coop and smaller run to their current situation, but that was in August, and they adjusted quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused this, and how I might go about treating it?

Thanks and happy holidays!

Speckled_Egg

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Pics, please... [​IMG]

3. speckled_egg

speckled_egg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Sorry, I don't own a camera, or I would definitely include pictures! The best I can do is describe what I see - if you need anything clarified, please ask questions freely!

[Edit] My boyfriend may be able to borrow one from a friend, so I might be able to get some up in a few days.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  4. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Did you find out what's causing the redness? I have a hen with the exact redness in the exact same place as you described.

5. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my chooks get red/pinkness between toes and on the bottom of the feet if its exceptionally cold out and they've been walking in the snow/ice cold.........whats the weather like where you are at the moment?

6. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    If they are molting it causes their hormones to rage and you will see the pink on the legs and feet. I have a few that look this way and they are coming out of their molt. Nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by