Pink/Red comb mean a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AtillaTheHen, Apr 15, 2012.

1. AtillaTheHen

AtillaTheHen New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    I have 5 Rhode Island Red and Jersey Giant cross breeds. 4 of which have larger combs, and one of the 4 has a decently dark pink comb. Does this mean it's very probable for that one to be a roo? And what about the other 3 with the larger combs? The 5th barely has any comb at all.

2. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    post a pic and i could probably give you an idea

3. AtillaTheHen

AtillaTheHen New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    Also, they are young still, tomorrow makes only 3 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jtr

May 6, 2011
    yeah the one in the pic is a roo

5. jtr

May 6, 2011
    ok nevermind it could be a hen but if it turns red and if it gets wattles when it is 4 wks it is definatly a roo but im leaning toward a roo

6. AtillaTheHen

AtillaTheHen New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    :[ This is my only white one.. I hope it's not a roo. I was looking forward to having a white hen.

Do larger combs at this age suggest any chick could be a roo? Is it more of a possibility?

7. SamJacobbe

SamJacobbe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Wellington Florida
    If you really want to know, I do have a way that is almost always 90% correct, and easy to do.

8. SamJacobbe

Apr 13, 2012
    Wellington Florida
    This works with chickens before they hit adult age, so it should work fine for you. Here's what you do:

1. Carefully hold the chick in your hands

2. Outstretch one of it's wings nicely

3. Look at the tips of the feathers

If it seems that there are two rows of feathers, then it is a female. If just one row, then male. I have heard that this is usually meant for hatcheries, but it has worked on all my chickens except the Silkies, because they aren't exactly feathers.
    The females have two rows because their feathers grow faster than males. So it should allow you to tell the boys from the girls.

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I thought I read the wing feather sexing is supposed to be done in the first week of age? I could be recalling incorrectly though.

10. SamJacobbe

Apr 13, 2012
    Wellington Florida
    It probably best during that time, but I have been able to do it up until three or four weeks of age. I mean I'm no expert, I study livestock not fowl, but it should work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by