Pink ring in hard boiled egg yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TeaLady, Nov 22, 2008.

1. TeaLady

TeaLady Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    I'm not sure which forum I should post this in, but here's the deal:

We hard-boiled a bunch of eggs, and when we cut them open a few of them had a thin pink layer that shows up as a ring about 1/8th inch inside of the edge of the yolk. There has not been a rooster around these girls for over a month.

Any idea what this is? Are the eggs safe to eat?
  2. cgrannygo

cgrannygo New Egg

Mar 31, 2013
    Help, I have the same question as TeaLady. Why do my hard boiled eggs have pink rings? Can I eat them?
  3. kkinenen

kkinenen New Egg

Mar 29, 2014
    USDA says toss it

Is the appearance of eggs related to food safety?
    Sometimes, but not usually. Variation in egg color is due to many factors.
    • Blood spots are caused by a rupture of one or more small blood vessels in the yolk at the time of ovulation. It does not indicate the egg is unsafe.
    • A cloudy white (albumen) is a sign the egg is very fresh. A clear egg white is an indication the egg is aging.
    • Pink or iridescent egg white (albumen) indicates spoilage due to Pseudomonas bacteria. Some of these microorganisms—which produce a greenish, fluorescent, water-soluble pigment—are harmful to humans.
    • The color of yolk varies in shades of yellow depending upon the diet of the hen. If she eats plenty of yellow-orange plant pigments, such as from marigold petals and yellow corn, the yolk will be a darker yellow than if she eats a colorless diet such as white cornmeal. Artificial color additives are not permitted in eggs.
    • A green ring on a hard-cooked yolk can be a result of overcooking, and is caused by sulfur and iron compounds in the egg reacting on the yolk's surface. The green color can also be caused by a high amount of iron in the cooking water. Scrambled eggs cooked at too high a temperature or held on a steam table too long can also develop a greenish cast. The green color is safe to consume.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by