pink rubber or foam ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by granny hatchet, Oct 26, 2013.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i bought something from habitat for humanity at their restore to block the wind on my run. it is some kind of insulation but i dont know what. it is one forth in. thick, pink inside with thin plastic sheeting on both sides. i have heard alot about the chickens eating styrofoam but mine has ate big holes in this unknown material before i could blink. i have tacked sheets over it now and they cant reach it any more but i wonder if the damage has already been done?

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    @GH; My chickens have ate more than their fair share of Styrofoam with no ill effects. I guess time will tell.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank you for the reply, i think it is some kind of rubber , like carpet padding? i havent been out this morn. half afraid to.haha i did cover it with some old sheets last night so they wont get any more unless they are very slick .hah

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Almost sounds like foam board used for graphic arts.

5. Dragonid

Dragonid Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2012
    I would have to guess it's polystyrene, your basic styrofoam. It's used in a lot of construction materials as sheet insulation.

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    I don't know if they make it that thin for construction use though, do they?

7. Dragonid

Dragonid Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2012
    The OP said is was backed, I'm guessing with mylar or some other plasticized foil, which is common for thinner materials. The backed varieties are often used along with other sheet material like roofing or siding, where a thicker layer won't work, and the foil acts secondarily as a vapor barrier.

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    it is flexible and the back and front is covered in only a white plastic like cheap garbage bag. it is doing a very good job of keeping it warm and one hen did make it under the sheet to peck some more. boy, they sure make it look good.haha

9. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Sounds like carpet pad. Can you post a pick?

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    no, unfortunately my brain doest work well enough to figure it out even with 10 people helping or my walmrt phone just doesnt do it,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by