Pink Watery Poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by claireschicks, Oct 23, 2013.

1. claireschicks

claireschicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Hi [​IMG] I got advised to post on the emergency subject!
    My chickens are nearly 1 year old and earlier on I found 2 bits of pink watery poo. It's got bits of white in and it's VERY watery. I know I haven't given them anything pink like beetroot. I usually feed them scraps such as carrot peels or potato. They also have worming treatment nearly every month!

I think it's only one of them! I am quite worried about her!
    Thanks[​IMG]

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Is she showing any signs of sickness? If not, I would not worry about her but give her a day or so without scraps, let her eat just her food. The white believe it or not is there urine. LOL. I'm wondering if the carrots may have giving her a little extra color there. So lay of the scraps for a day or two, let her get those scraps out of her system and see if things don't improve.

3. claireschicks

Oct 23, 2013
    She was quite down today, I let my chooks free range today and she's usually quite perky but today she was laying down quite a lot and wasn't her usual self. I'll lay off the scraps and see how things go!
    Thank you very much! [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She should be immune to the coccidia strain in your yard by now if you have had her long, but it could be coccidiosis that she has. Symptoms are lethargy, ruffled feathers, sitting puffed up, and diarrhea (sometimes with bloody mucus.) Corid, amprollium, coxoid are some of the brands of treatment in different countries. Once a month worming seems a little extreme. What product do you use?

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Agree once a month worming does seem a bit unnecessary..

6. claireschicks

Oct 23, 2013
    Well it says on the bottle worm once a month but sometimes I do forget so possibly I worm them maybe every other month. Im not sure what the product is called but it's a small bottle and you put 20 drops per 100ml. Should I lay off the worming for a while?
    She is opening her mouth and reaching her head up in weird motions?!

7. claireschicks

Oct 23, 2013
    I did find some more poo that was solid in there nesting box and again it was pink..

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The neck motions may be adjusting her crop or gaping which is sometimes a sign of respiratory problems. Gapeworm which is very rare, is a type of worm that can cause severe gaping and gasping for air. It is important that you know the active ingredient in your wormer because chickens have many types of worms. Certain wormers only treat the round worm, and most chickens can have several different ones. In the UK for example you cannot buy very many wormers, and the product you are using may just be a preventative. Albendazole and fendbendazole, plus others are good ones. Here is a good reference for worming, although some of the treaments are outdated and no longer are effective: http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

I would consider laying off for a while I only worm mine each season change so fall winter summer and spring..

Mouth and head reaching is normal

10. claireschicks

Oct 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by