Pinkie mice for Snakes

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mykee, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone know where I can purchase pinkie mice for my garter snake without spending a fortune on shipping? I don't want over 50, either.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Raise your own, or find a local source for live or frozen/thawed. But locally produced cost an arm and a leg per pinky, so it is usually cheaper to get them shipped frozen in bulk and pop in your freezer.

3. flyingtnh

flyingtnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    New Hampshire
    A long time ago I had a job working in the zoo section of a national history museum that displayed local wild animals. We bred rats and mice for food for them. They are extremely prolific and relatively low maintenance. However, the way we raised them was not too much different than caged chickens (racks of shoe-box sized breeding cages).

For a garter snake, why not raise earthworms? I'll bet a 2' x 3' plastic vermiculture tub would be enough to keep a steady supply of them.

4. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    There's a store near where we used to live that did their own, and the price per mouse was cheaper than the chain stores, and you got a bulk discount on top of that. Could be worth looking around.

Micedirect has pinkies for like a dollar, so even with say, $50 for shipping, that's ~$2 per mouse.

flyingtnh- I might be wrong, but worms aren't a complete diet for garters I don't think.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

we used to feed ours a combination of earthworms, feeder type fish and pinkies (and an occasional toad when it was summertime)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by