Pinkish area on my duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iloveducks2, Jun 22, 2016.

1. iloveducks2

iloveducks2 Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    Hi I'm new here- I have a ton of questions but here is one. I noticed that my Pekin duck had a strange pinkish area on her head. I thought that maybe she might just have lost some feathers in the area but there are still feathers there. Is this anything to worry about?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Do you have a picture?

3. iloveducks2

iloveducks2 Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't know a ton about Pekins and white colors, but it may be a sunburn, or just the light. Search Pekin on the forum search, and find a Pekin thread. They will probably be more specific! If your duck isn't acting funny or listless, she'll be okay. I would double check, though. :D

5. iloveducks2

iloveducks2 Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    ok thank u so much[​IMG]Btw I live in Glendale, AZ and am trying to find my duck a home- by any chance do u know someone who can give her a great home?

6. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    No, sorry. I am a Canadian. You can try using craigslist, BYC, or Kijiji.
    Why are you , if I may ask, trying to find her a new home?

7. iloveducks2

iloveducks2 Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016

Well we have two ducks and when we got them the plan was that we were going to raise them as babies then give them to a farmer (who won't kill them) to experience what it's like to take care of ducks. our two ducks got very close and then one died so now the other duck is very lonely and missing her friend. So we have been trying to find a farmer near us that has another duck so Summer can have a friend and that someone recommends and trusts to take good care of her

8. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Good idea. If you ever get ducks again, get at least 3. That way if one dies there are still two. So sorry for your loss. :hugs

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  9. iloveducks2

iloveducks2 Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016

Thanks for understanding[​IMG]I don't want people thinking that we just decided one day to get some ducks and are giving them away cause they are too much work because that is DEFINITELY not the case. We are animal lovers and would never do that to an animal. We just feel like it is best for Summer :)

10. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    You're right. I once rescued a duckling and it was so lonely it died. It got very listless and just up and died one night. :( Now that I actually have ducks though, I find that they are so entertaining together! I would not want to see a lonely duck. :love The more the merrier!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by