1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pinkish droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fergusonlitch, Dec 20, 2013.

1. fergusonlitch

fergusonlitch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Litchfield, OH
    We have six chickens (Barred Rocks, Golden and Silver laced Wyandotte) which are about 6 months old.
    Went out to do coop cleaning and found what looks like some pinkish droppings. After cleaning up the box and working on the run I also found some slightly pink dropping on the ramp. So would this be normal? Some of my hens had laying (we think three), could this be related to that or am I looking at an illness? I've read about Cocci, however most look like it's for younger birds. Any thoughts?

2. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Have you introduced any new birds recently?
    It could just be shed intestinal lining.
    I would keep an eye on her just in case

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its probably just shed intestinal lineing. Are any of your birds acting sick?

4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When I see too many dropping like that from an older bird I worm them and treat for coccidiosis.

-Kathy

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Normal stools have greenish-brown with a white cap. If the white part is pinkish it is normal at nighttime, but not all the time. Pictures of poo are always very popular and get more specific advice.

6. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Lol, I love poo pics!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by