Pinless Peeper or Isolation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSpiceGirls, Mar 28, 2012.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a hen who is just not adjusting to the new hens I introduced 7 weeks ago and I'm tired of the bullying.

I think putting a peeper on her for about a week might just set her straight. But my hubby says those are mean. He'd rather see me isolate her to the garage for that week.

I just hate to see her so sad and lonely like that isolated.

What would you do? Peeper? Isolation? Or nothing and let nature take it's course.

2. DelDels

DelDels Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Lower Slower Delaware
    They will still bully with peepers on. The peepers work well to stop the plucking habit which is not a dominance issue. The bullies however will grab hold with their beaks and then rake with their feet even with peepers on. I have one hen in isolation right now. I'm hoping that a month there will unseat her as alpha and stop the problem. If not she will have to live by herself. She was keeping the lowest hens from eating and not letting anyone come out of the coop. Egg count has picked up since she was isolated.

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Really? I had a bully last year and put a peeper on her and it stopped her cold.

Things ARE getting better, just very s-l-o-w-l-y. Bedtime has been my biggest pain point lately and tonight wasn't so bad. So I think I'll give it another week of trying to get them to get along before I consider the peeper.

The good thing about the peeper is you can put on one in a nano second and also remove it just as quickly.

4. DelDels

DelDels Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Lower Slower Delaware
    I don't think the pinless peepers are cruel. I haven't tried the other kind. But I have seen bullies continue their bad behavior even while wearing them. Some hens seem more determined than others.

My main problem hen has been alpha for a long time and seems to get worse the older she gets. She doesn't lay much anymore and is just a pet at this point. Maybe she thinks she has special status which is true! But I can't let her bully everybody. Hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by