Pinless Peeper question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by adirondacksusa, Jun 19, 2010.

1. adirondacksusa

adirondacksusa New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    I'm going to try Pinless Peepers on my flock to help stop feather picking and baboon butts. Does anyone know if free-ranging chickens wearing Pinless Peepers would be at increased risk from predators (roving dogs, for example)?
    Thanks for any help!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Very good question.. I hadnt thought about that.. Hopefully some others who have used them will chime in ... Oh and BTW [​IMG]

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Question.....What are pinless peepers? [​IMG]

4. adirondacksusa

adirondacksusa New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    Pinless Peepers: Here's a place that sells them so you can see a picture... if you search on the web, you can find some photos of chickens actually wearing them:
    http://www.randallburkey.com/PIN-LESS-PEEPERS-10-PKG/productinfo/10096/
    You put them on a chicken's head -- they're supposed to help keep the chicken from being able to peck at another chicken, but they're not supposed to interfere with eating and drinking. It's a tool to help prevent chickens hurting each other by feather picking.
    Two little prongs go in the chicken's nostril (it's not supposed to hurt the chicken) and it kind of looks like the chicken is wearing glasses.
    I'm concerned that they may make a chicken more vulnerable to predators.... does anyone have any experience with these?

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:Oh, thanks for clearing that up! [​IMG]

6. t0m

t0m Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Narberth, PA
    My Coop
    A note for chicken keepers in the UK: pinless peepers and similar devices have been prohibited since 1968 on welfare grounds. Quoting from a document on animal welfare standards in the UK:

"The use of blinkers which pierce the nasal septum [are banned]. Other forms of device fitted to birdÂ’s heads (such as spectacles, contact lenses and nasal bits) may also cause welfare problems and should not be used."

7. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Quote:So I suppose letting chickens peck each other to death is more humane... Jeesh, how stupid![​IMG]

8. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have read a little about these in the past few days and am giving them a shot. I have one chicken who is such a bully. She has mounted and "raped" 2 of my other girls for about a 2 months now. They are all starting to free range more now with the warmer weather so I am hoping it will calm down. Even being out in the yard she has still chased one of my girls relentlessly. I don't know what else to do. She has scrathced the feathers off of the one girls back and I thought she was going to seriously harm my polish girl yesterday. Any thoughts on if the peepers with stop the abuse? Will she be able to make it around the yard while free ranging?

9. eslamberson

eslamberson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    I bought some pinless peepers from Randall Turkey and also some leg bands. I hope the peepers will "heal" my 3 aggressive hens! They already killed one hen and had started on another when I caught them in the act!
    Elena Lamberson

10. eslamberson

eslamberson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    I bought some pinless peepers from Randall Burkey and also some leg bands. I hope the peepers will "heal" my 3 aggressive hens! They already killed one hen and had started on another when I caught them in the act!
    Elena Lamberson

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by