Pinless peeper removal

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roguedesigns, Feb 13, 2014.

1. roguedesigns

roguedesigns Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Alameda, CA
    Today, after a year and a bit, I took the pinless peepers off some of my lower ranking, but feisty hens. One of them immediately began attacking the others, just as she had before the peepers went on.
    We had been living peacefully for so long that I thought they were ready. . . Silly me.

Question for you veterans: do some hens need to wear the peepers forever? Any issues with that?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Almost all the hens who've worn peepers and had them removed have had to have them put back on, usually not immediately, though.

I have four who have resumed their nasty habits after going without peepers since fall. I have no clue what made them stop, and what made them start up again. I'm just happy when the peepers work, which they don't always.

I have one who has been wearing peepers for most of her three and a half years of life. She agrees she'd rather wear peepers than be dinner.

3. roguedesigns

roguedesigns Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Alameda, CA
    I was thinking that might be the response. Thanks!

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Chickens are ruled by instinct. Nothing, especially a small piece of red plastic will long prevent a chicken from acting like a chicken.
    If you think that you can long modify a chickens basic nature I am afraid that you are in for a rude awakening.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Blue plastic.

6. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Know this is a pretty old post but hoping you will still see it anyway. So, when taking the pin-less peepers off, do you have to apply a little vaseline or anything, or just remove them? Also, has the pin-less peepers modified ANY of your chickens long term behavior (after removal) , or they ALL reverted back to prior behavior?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by